Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Re: Vehicle rally prep

Go down 
+10
MostlyPyjamas
sycopaff
BOFA Bill
jjakajmr
Jack
Alane
evo4x4
Paul_H
snow
S1hdj
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
S1hdj
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Vehicle rally prep Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 2:51 am

Hi all,
I should be taking part in the 2010 rally Very Happy ,
I shall be using a MY06 D3 HSE,
As I'm new to any event such as this just wanted some pointers to the vehicle prep and what kit I should be thinking of getting.

My D3 is already fitted with sump guard, MTR's

As rally Regs state of course I'll be taking:
Passport
Drivers licence
Insurance
MOT
W/triangle,F/aid kit,S/bulbs
Tools,
Spares,

Additional to this I can only think of the following:
Recovery ropes and bow shackles,
Spare wheels,
Air jack,
GPS,
Maps and compass,
CB and PMR,
Mobiles with roam activated,
Chargers,
Additional Fuel,
Tent including kitchen sink,
Water,oil
Fire extinguisher,
Wet wipes,
Beer,
change of pants,
more beer,
some food,
more beer,
hang over cures,
pot noodles,
piles cream and that's just the Co-driver Shocked
Joking aside any pointers to kit or spares are needed or should think about then greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.british-discovery.com
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:04 am

good list!!! long!!!. . maybe i should start making one!!

What about some cooking tools and maybe a gass stove. . or cooker???
Back to top Go down
Paul_H
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Paul_H

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 am

Most of the vehicles will be carrying recovery kit so I would not worry too much if you cant get hold of it or dont want the expense I know 2 of the L200s that are going will be equiped to a high level with recovery gear and one of them setup for motorsport recovery anyway.

As for camping id say eveything you can get your hands on and the kitchen sink lol

I have a rather nice list of stuff that is growing as the days go on and I keep finding or thinking off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paul-henry.me.uk
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 am

Simon - All good stuff there; for sure the list will grow

We'll be linking the various makes/models together well before the event for them to agree amongst themselves who carries what spares; to save all carrying a starter motor, alternator etc.

Re some basics - all vehicles will need Hi-viz vests for each occupant (not the string type that Bill wears to bed). Sleep
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:13 pm

I picked up one of these yesterday

Re: Vehicle rally prep RoofConsole-01

And I'm picking up a small roofrack at the weekend for £20

I want to get as much work done on storage issues as I can to give me the rest of year to work on general maintenance (make sure everything is working properly)
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:24 pm

where you get that from??
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 pm

Got it from TBRUK via Gigglepin.

If you want to get one go to them (TBRUK) as they're tons cheaper than anyone else selling them in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:39 pm

how much was the roof console ?
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Lol, not entirely sure if Gigglepin worked the price out correctly. On TBRUK's website they're priced at £195 (about £50 cheaper than anywhere else).

But I paid £197 when I picked it up so I'm not sure they worked the VAT out properly.

Just need to wait till christmas for a decent CB to go in it.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 pm

i got my CB at billing for £69 with CB, 5 ft' ariel, mount, quick release and also an 3ft ariel and mount for a mate. shows are good for deals. i think there is another Landrover show in September at the east showground.

plus, did the roof mount not inter fear with your sun visors?
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 pm

I've not put it in yet as my motor's had to go to the garage with some grinding noise but apparently you need to trim about 10mm from each visor.

Might even be able to source some that fit from a different motor
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:01 am

If the repair work isn't too pricey I may take a quick look around next weekend for one
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:05 am

ooooo grinding noise doesnt sound too good. did you check the universal joints on the props.
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:11 am

I'm hoping it's something that simple.

Worst case is I've discovered a nasty leak on the transfer box so I'm hoping it's not running dry.

Not overly bothered as I had the gearbox/ transfer box off a couple of months back to have the GB recon'd so it's still all under warranty.
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:15 am

When I drove into Gigglepin yesterday Jim (the owner) reckoned it sounded like either the CV joint or wheel bearings.

I've kind of ruled out the CV as the grinding happens in straight lines as well as turning.
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:20 am

well i hope its somthing simple for ya mate. i once put a series 3 in for an MOT and had it back £600 later affraid Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:25 am

Yup, my last repair bill was £1700 affraid

But who's counting right?? Icon Landy
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:37 am

yep iv always driven a landrover and always will Icon Landy
Back to top Go down
Paul_H
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Paul_H

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 4:39 am

I was after one of the consoles for the l200 but they no longer produce them for the mk4 L200 so my response to that was to go out to the shed and start at the MDF its still a work in progress and no doubt it will change again before it sees the vehicle but is looking handy for the map light for the co-driver a slot for some ARB style switches to go and maybe some storage holders in there.

Also working on a rear seat cubby box

All this is going to come in handy when doing the motorsports and it will soon get put to use as the silly season is about to kick off again with a trip upto Penrith at the end of the month, the prom stages at new brighton next month and the WRC all coming up soon.
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 3:03 am

I know of a few fellas that have made their own consoles.

Not something I'd have a crack at, it'd fall apart withing a week
Back to top Go down
Paul_H
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Paul_H

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 am

I know what you mean

Im already on version 2 as I found problems with it before I had even tried to fit it lol

The one im working on is not as fancy as a production one its a similar shape though a little shorter were the radio slot is as im not planning on putting a radio in there im thinking of using it for a switch panel, I reckon I can get 8 of the carling switches in there the problem I have is finding a use for them all lol

I have a 6 way panel in a Din slot at the moment and so far iv only used 3

I am trying to work out the best way to jig the interior around so that I can get all the kit in there as well as the stuff I need for events between now and then.
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 7:40 am

Anyhoo
That grinding noise turned out to be a completely shot wheel bearing.
Being sorted at the mo, phew!!
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 am

i did a service on mine on the weekend and found that the guy before me had used automatic oil in a manual gearbox and then i found a hole in my fuel tank.... so thats why my mpg has been crap lately.. Sad

good to hear it was only a wheel bearing fella.
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 7:51 am

Better to iron out all these little problems sooner rather then later
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 7:53 am

thats what i was thinking. steam clean and a waxoil coat once the tank goes in. £60 for a fuel tank... go to love Icon Landy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Vehicle rally prep   Re: Vehicle rally prep Empty

Back to top Go down

Re: Vehicle rally prep
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next