Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep

Go down 
+4
General Confusion
Skibum346
nickwalk
nickburt
8 posters
AuthorMessage
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep Empty
PostSubject: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 3:46 am

While surfing around the other night, I found this "down under" website - guess some of you may have seen it before, but there's some good ideas and tech advice for alsorts of off road, trekking stuff - feel a few projects coming on.

ExplorOz

The Articles section is well worth a browse around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
nickwalk
Private
Private
nickwalk

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi

Having had a quick look at pics of previous event there are a lot of modified and standard vehicles so what's the general view on must have equipment?

Already got lift, mud terrains and skid plates but should I be adding recovery points, rock sliders, lights etc?

What have you guys done?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 11:19 pm

Nickwalk...

If your modding just for the rally you can get away with just good recovery points. The off roading aint too severe.

Course the more you have the further you get.

Skibum
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamskibum.com
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 8:31 am

Nick, You have a Jeep. No Worries Smile

Glad to see someone else carrying the flag this year for Jeep.

Seriously, as Frank says front and rear recovery points are useful. If the off-road bits are the same, rock rails would be useful to protect your sills.

And a big roof rack!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://teamwickes.webs.com
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 10:05 am

Rally can be done in a standard truck.
The off road stuff last year was do-able without risk. At the end of the day, you have a 3000 mile round trip to complete, so nothing is going to be forced on you to risk not completing it.
Better to spend time and effort giving the truck a good service and check over in the weeks leading upto the start and rationalise a spares list.
Most of last years entrants completed the event without any mishaps. Those who did suffer any were generally down to "over enthusiasm" on the off road stages but the correct spares carried soon rectified the problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
nickwalk
Private
Private
nickwalk

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 6:44 am

Thanks for the response guys and kinda figured I could get away with the standard mods. Did a trip to Morocco and through the Sahara some years ago in a Grand Cherokee and really went to town on that one!

Will be having a nice chat with my favourite off road garage (whilst also going after some sponsorship!) soon so will look to add bits and pieces to get the Commander ready.

If only there was a garage to prep your small child for the event also... Laughing
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 am

NickW - The points are covered well by Nick & Steve. There are some difficult bits of off-road; but nothing is compulsory, only the start & end of each day.

The clue is we have families taking part and roll cages are not needed - this is a fun touring assembly (the fun being had by the organisers Ha) with the 'unknown' being thrown in by your very helpful organising team!!!! Ha

Your focus must be on reliablity (Jeep = no prob). AT tyres will do the job - and make the long hauls quieter than MTs.
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 am

nickwalk wrote:
If only there was a garage to prep your small child for the event also... Laughing

Toys R Us Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 6:51 am

evo4x4 wrote:
Your focus must be on reliablity (Jeep = no prob).

Shocked Never thought I'd see the day when someone else said that on here apart from me Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 6:36 am

I did it in a Disco3. Only mods were a sump plate and ATs. As a couple of people will attest, that was plenty enough for the trials course (nil penalty points and a "respect!" from some other drivers).

Your Jeep will be perfect for the rally. Icon Jeep
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamgoatriders.co.uk
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:32 am

NoDo$h wrote:

I wouldn't go that far!

Icon Landy
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamskibum.com
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 3:46 am

First I've heard of any 'respect' being given by other drivers to Alan. I heard other words and (kind!) advice being offered but for sure not 'respect' Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 am

Skibum346 wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

I wouldn't go that far!

Icon Landy

Some of the Land Rovers DIDN'T go that far Laughing

Just saying the Jeep will do the trick, not that it's better than my D3 Suspect
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 am

evo4x4 wrote:
First I've heard of any 'respect' being given by other drivers to Alan. I heard other words and (kind!) advice being offered but for sure not 'respect' Rolling Eyes

Cheeky beggar. 'twas just before the drunken mayor of the ville decided to shut the road Mad
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 7:29 am

nobody was getting any respect on that occasion and certainly not from the mayor,although even under utmost provocation, I managed to keep calm and refrain from showing him "UK respect" ie decking him lol!
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:04 am

Aye a 'Glega Kiss' was on the cards................but I couldnae get doon tae his level Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep   Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep Empty

Back to top Go down

Some good ideas and tech advice for vehicle prep
Page 1 of 1