Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Just an idea of what you really should have

Go down 
+8
muddygirl
nickburt
FarmerL200
Alane
jjakajmr
NoDo$h
snow
richie
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

Just an idea of what you really should have Empty
PostSubject: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Just an idea of what you really should have, and not the kitchen sink, or 4 spare wheels.

Firstly, you do not have to go and spend a lot of money equipping your vehicle for our overland adventure. The tour has been designed so you can enjoy them in the most standard of 4x4 vehicles.

For your comfort, I have put together a few basic tips, which will help you get the most out of the run.

Less is more, so you can leave the kitchen sink at home. It is all in the right sort of preparation.

CLOTHING:

Be prepared for ALL weather conditions, as we can experience most. Sometimes all in the same day.
Summer Clothes
Warm Clothes
Sturdy Boots
Wet Weather Coats
Hat and Gloves, specially for the evenings around the campfire
Remember Jeans when wet, take a long time to dry
CAMPING EQUIPMENT:

Tent: Remember we are moving almost each day, so you want something you can put up with ease, and something that does not take too long, specially if it is raining
Heavy Duty Tent Pegs recommended

Cooking Gas: Make sure you carry plenty, as some types are not so easily found in Europe.

Kelly Kettles are great for boiling water, saves gas and you can use almost anything as fuel, twigs, grass, moss, paper and card, cotton wool.

Sleeping Bags: get the best you can afford, as the temperatures drop in the mountains. Double sleeping bags or duvets are not as warm as singles.

FOOD:

Keep it simple, I suggest you bring some back up tins and packets of your favourite brands, as you may not be able to find them at the local supermarkets.
However there will be plenty of opportunities to shop for fresh produce, such as Milk, Bread, Cheeses, Fruit and Veg, and Meats.
No need to spend your money on bottled water, as there are plenty of opportunities to collect Fresh Mountain Spring Water along the way.
We recommend to drink plenty, to keep your fluid levels up.

There will communal BBQ's etc some nights, we will let you know what and when

Personal Hygiene:

I recommend Micro Fibre Towels, as they absorb moisture and dry quicker than standard house hold towels
Baby Wipes: the over landers best friend as they clean you up and cool you down

Toileting: back to basics, bring a shovel & Bio – degradable toilet paper, then find a tree !, but campsites will have loo's, and service area's on routes have good facilities

Medical Requirements:

Comprehensive First Aid Kit
Any Medications you require
Sun Screen Lotion
Insect Repellent

Vehicle:

Good running order and road legal. plenty of tyre tread, check wheel bearings are well greased, check your brakes and hand brake, coolant system, suspension, lights etc.

Must be TAXED, MOT’d, INSURED (check that it is covered for Europe)

Beam benders (headlamp converters)

“GB” Sticker or European style number plates.

Breakdown recovery service covering Europe. This is on offer via the organisers and AA

NO fuel cans should be carried on the exterior of the vehicle, at least as you approach the ferry.

Equipment to carry:

Breakdown warning triangles (two)

First aid kit

High visibility jacket or vest (per occupant)

Fire extinguisher

Spare bulbs set

Tow rope/recovery equipment

Jack & wheel brace (locking wheel nut tool)

Any special tools for your vehicle

Spare wheel

Communications:

Mobile telephone, switch to operate in Europe

CB Radio (optional), check that it covers European Channels

Documents:

Driving license

Passport

Travel insurance

European health insurance card

Vehicle documents – log book, MOT, tax, insurance papers

Green Card (could be included within your insurance, however you need to check this with your insurance company) is compulsory!

Credit card protection European telephone number

Additional Information

Motorway Tolls vary, keep some small change for local tolls, notes for main, or use your card , fix a bulldog style clip somewhere handy, and when you take the toll ticket at the start point, clip it in, if you loose one, you will be charged for the whole road.

Fuel: Will vary on what vehicle and engine you are using:

Campsites: Part of the package

Useful to carry

Spare fan belt, Spare wiper blades, Spare fuses, Wheel bearing kit, Spare UJ`s (for landys) !

WD40, EP90 (axle oil), Engine oil, Break/clutch fluid, Power steering fluid, Spare air filter

Spare set of keys

*Please note the information above is for guidance and may vary subject to a number of conditions
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:19 pm

given up on small easy quick tents and are going to be taking the 5 man with living compartment, may take 20/30 mins to put up but its luxury
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyWed May 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Can we video you putting it up when we hit a summer storm around day 5? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamgoatriders.co.uk
jjakajmr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
jjakajmr

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyWed May 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks Richie very useful.
Another list of things to do....... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://teamcobra.co.uk
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyThu May 20, 2010 12:19 am

NoDo$h wrote:
Can we video you putting it up when we hit a summer storm around day 5? scratch

feel free, ill let you into a secret that i used to camp with our horses most weekends when competing, once of twice for a week or so, im used to all weather camping, including balancing putting up tents in heavey rain in a muddy field

camping wise with the just cars to worry about is going to be luxury!
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyThu May 20, 2010 2:01 am

Can't see a some Baddminton set or a rugby ball on the list.

Must've been an oversight Laughing
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyThu May 20, 2010 3:56 am

Lederhosen and flugelhorn optional then?
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyThu May 20, 2010 6:01 am

NoDo$h wrote:
Lederhosen and flugelhorn optional then?

we dont wanna know what you do in ur spare time.............................
Back to top Go down
FarmerL200
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
FarmerL200

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:12 am

Quote :
given up on small easy quick tents and are going to be taking the
5 man with living compartment, may take 20/30 mins to put up but its
luxury

Me too, until the start of this week I was set on a pop up that I could throw out the window before we had stopped, more time for beer and bbq but am now looking for a walk in tent with a front canopy so we can relax in our fold up chairs with optional extra drinks holders in da sunshine. Just an idea of what you really should have Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:27 am

If I can't take the kitchen sink, can I take the kitchen....... Boogie
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
FarmerL200
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
FarmerL200

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:35 am

Quote :

Breakfast at yours then old chap, I'll bring the eggs. Just an idea of what you really should have Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
muddygirl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyFri May 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks for that Richie - very useful list. Will give us a starting reference now we're getting down to the 'nitty gritty'.

Something I would add, as I've found it very useful whilst travelling in the depths of nowhere, would be a hand wash spray/gel thats easily accessible in the cab. In the past I've used one of those spay bottles with water and a cap full of detol, but theres plent of sweeter smelling alternatives you can buy now. Its always a good idea if you're going to be getting dirty and want to wash your hands on the move before, say,preping/ eating food. ...We all want to stay healthy don't we..? Smile

Nurse Sarah. Wink
Back to top Go down
jjakajmr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
jjakajmr

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyFri May 21, 2010 11:13 pm

Oooh nurse!!! Very Happy
Good thinking!! Smile
Back to top Go down
sycopaff
Sergeant
Sergeant
sycopaff

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:58 am

i find mud and oil a better alternative to mayo! Just gives a cheese sandwich that earthy taste! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
muddygirl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 2:14 am

Hmmm, fair point ... although I wasn't necessarily thinking of just mud and oil...!

S.
Back to top Go down
m109a3uk
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
m109a3uk

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:12 am

nickburt wrote:
Here's my cookset I used to have the mk5 great bit of kit and great for cooking at the smaller shows
Needs a 4tonner to lug it along as this bad boy weighs in at 3.5tonnes Shocked It can cater for the whole rally if anyone would like to tow it
Just an idea of what you really should have Mkt75_10
Folded out ready for grub time

Just an idea of what you really should have Mkt75_11
Cooking breakfast for the group I'm on the left Very Happy

Just an idea of what you really should have Mkt75_12
Back to top Go down
jjakajmr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
jjakajmr

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:18 am

looks good breakfast!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 8:12 am

Can't see the brown sauce
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 8:44 am

While I have a Nato tow-hitch the answer is no! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 9:37 am

Nice .... I WANT one Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Salad cream with Sausages!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
m109a3uk
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
m109a3uk

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptySun May 23, 2010 1:41 am

Alane wrote:
Salad cream with Sausages!!! Mad
Its a German thing Smile we have a few German friends that come over and stay with us at Beltring, they have a cookset the same as mine that we convert to a bar Very Happy (draught beers, ice machine, even a fresh coffee maker Very Happy ) Works quite well as we dont do damping(like camping but wetter)
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyMon May 24, 2010 8:04 pm

If peeps haven't done it yet then this website does the European health insurance cards without paying.

http://www.travelhealth.co.uk/advice/ehic.htm

A site I found was charging £9.99 for the FREE card
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyMon May 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Alane wrote:
If peeps haven't done it yet then this website does the European health insurance cards without paying.

http://www.travelhealth.co.uk/advice/ehic.htm

A site I found was charging £9.99 for the FREE card

good link, just done that online easy peasy
Back to top Go down
Robert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Robert

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have EmptyMon May 24, 2010 10:01 pm

No one told me there was a nurse on board. Now I won't mind breaking a leg!

Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Hail Tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just an idea of what you really should have   Just an idea of what you really should have Empty

Back to top Go down

Just an idea of what you really should have
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next