Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

serious question-roof lights

Go down 
+6
BOFA Bill
evo4x4
Oli
Alane
snow
tonic
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

serious question-roof lights Empty
PostSubject: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 am

Anybody know the legal rules for roof lights. I know that normal spot/driving lights have to be wired into full beam but what is the position regarding lights mounted on a roof rack-can they just be wired in to a on/off switch and whilst many vehicles have them,are they actually legal under construction & use regs and MOT ?
Tony
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:36 am

Your only allowed by law two full beam/ head lights, so if you want them on the full beam then you need to wire extra switch to turn them on/off(so they don't come on in the MOT), if that makes sense

mine are wired to an on/off switch so I just turn them on and off when I like, they aren't wired into the full beam switch
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 am

Mine are wired in to the main beam on an on/off switch.

Yeah, officailly they're not legal for normal road use. My switch is on all the time so all 8 come on with the full beam but just the roof lights can be turned off whenever.
Back to top Go down
Oli
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Oli

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 am

Theoretically as well roof lights on a landy are illegal if used on the road as they are above a certain height (Can't remember what it is), but behind the axle. Most people just run them connected to main beam, thats how they did when i worked at a dealer anyway.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 3:13 am

This is the interpretation in the current MSA Blue Book -

Electrical Systems
18.5. Vehicles must have a maximum of four forward
facing beams, as well as side and indicator lights,
unless further restrictions are specified in SRs.
18.5.1. Light pods are not permitted.
18.5.2. A headlamp must provide the main beam and
dipped beam functions.
18.5.3. An auxiliary lamp provides a beam other than
that provided by the headlamp.
18.5.4. A headlamp may consist of a single reflector
with a dual filament bulb, or separate reflectors each
with single filament bulbs providing the functions of
main beam and dipped beam separately. This will be
considered as equivalent to a single dual filament
headlamp unit. Lamp units comprising two reflectors
where one is fitted with a dual filament bulb will be
considered as a combined headlamp and auxiliary
lamp. In this instance therefore no additional auxiliary
lamps may be fitted.
18.5.5. Auxiliary lamps using gas discharge technology
are not Permitted and gas discharge headlamp units
may not be retrofitted.
18.5.6. Auxiliary lights must not be used in neutral
sections except in poor visibility as permitted by
law.
18.5.7. Where more than four beams are fitted as
standard, only four may be used and the remainder
must be rendered unusable for the duration of the
event.
18.5.8. Vehicles must have all lights fitted and used
according to motor vehicle lighting regulations.
18.5.9. External navigational or Marshal lights are not
permitted.
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:12 am

However, we as scrutineers can be 'bribed'

anon Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 am

I think you can be bribed for anything can't you bill
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 am

Shocked
Harry how could you suggest such a thingy? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:44 am

Only where "HEADLIGHTS" or secret start locations are concerned
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 am

aye, I am really 'HOT' when it comes to heedlichts Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm

just a thought with the cars being checked before we go is there anything major we need to have i.e i think you need a high viz vest for france or is it things like car saftey i.e fire extinguishers etc etc Very Happy just so i can sort it before i set off and not in a rush when i find out the night before ..
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Yes to yer question.

That said, you will be receiving a 'must have' e mail in plenty of time before the start.

Just remember the 'petty cash' as I will be checking your car............ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:35 pm

I still need to get a few cheap bits
Red warning triangle
Fire extinguisher
Spare bulbs

Think I've got a few hi-viz vests somewhere
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 pm

and remember the heedlight beam thingys.

Liddle and Aldi's are the cheap'st
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 9:56 pm

The Final Regs will contain a copy of the Scrutineering Sheet - for transparancy so that you are fully prepared both from a safety aspect, legal aspect and know what your are expected to carry. We don't want anyone failing Scruniteering - but if it doesn't pass it doesn't start and it's a 'nil refund'- and there's no bribery whatsoever on this very important elelment of the event. Sorry guys; safety comes first.

The FRs will go out at the end of May - together with a coded message re the start venue.

We'll supply the code at the start itself!!!!!! What a Face

Signed, an ever helpful organiser! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:34 pm

evo4x4 wrote:
The Final Regs will contain a copy of the Scrutineering Sheet - for transparancy so that you are fully prepared both from a safety aspect, legal aspect and know what your are expected to carry. We don't want anyone failing Scruniteering - but if it doesn't pass it doesn't start and it's a 'nil refund'- and there's no bribery whatsoever on this very important elelment of the event. Sorry guys; safety comes first.

The FRs will go out at the end of May - together with a coded message re the start venue.

We'll supply the code at the start itself!!!!!! What a Face

Signed, an ever helpful organiser! Rolling Eyes

so we have a while to ponder over the code then!!!

id advise just taking millions of cable ties to strap everything under the bonnet down lol
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Beam deflectors? Not on my car you don't Evil or Very Mad

I have a man who asks the butler to tell the chauffeur to flick a switch and it magically switches the beam over Laughing

On a serious point, will you be forbidding cars that have roof lights fitted? I have a couple of brace of LF140s on the rack, one set with wideangle filters switched on/off regardless of the state of ignition or lights (useful for setting up camp at night) and the other switched so they can come on with main beam or can be left off. These latter ones are spot beam pattern - they can't be switched on unless I am already on high beam AND press another (illuminated) switch to activate them so they don't come into play when driving on the road.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamgoatriders.co.uk
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 pm

Alan - Not my rules; I can only quote -

18.5.7. Where more than four beams are fitted as
standard, only four may be used and the remainder
must be rendered unusable for the duration of the
event.

'Duration of event' means whilst travelling; ie not stationary.

Why did the Disco 3 we had from L/R over the w/e have continental deflectors on it; mind you we never saw the Butler either! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 am

im confused now.. so if i have 4 spots on the roof and two on the bull bar i can only have them on a switch for on/off for off road use or is it i cant have them on my car all together Neutral
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 am

My switch is either
ON: Roof lights come on with full bean
OFF: Only the headlights and A-bar spots go on with full beam
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:30 am

Jack - You can have the additional lights on the car but;

'only four may be used and the remainder
must be rendered unusable'

This doesn't stop you using additional lights if stationary per Alan's example of setting up camp.

In short, if you are on the public highway, no more than 4 lights (excl sides etc) can be used ie be lit. These rules follow MSA regs.

MSA events inc 'real' rallies and speed. We are not a speed event thus I'm sure all the 4x4s taking part will have sufficient lighting through the 4 lights allowed. If the lights are for 'show', and not more than 4 are used overall, then no prob.
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:44 am

NoDo$h wrote:
Beam deflectors? Not on my car you don't Evil or Very Mad

I have a man who asks the butler to tell the chauffeur to flick a switch and it magically switches the beam over Laughing

On a serious point, will you be forbidding cars that have roof lights fitted? I have a couple of brace of LF140s on the rack, one set with wideangle filters switched on/off regardless of the state of ignition or lights (useful for setting up camp at night) and the other switched so they can come on with main beam or can be left off. These latter ones are spot beam pattern - they can't be switched on unless I am already on high beam AND press another (illuminated) switch to activate them so they don't come into play when driving on the road.

beam deflectors Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

mine dont even point straight in this country!!!
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:46 am

evo4x4 wrote:
Jack - You can have the additional lights on the car but;

'only four may be used and the remainder
must be rendered unusable'

This doesn't stop you using additional lights if stationary per Alan's example of setting up camp.

In short, if you are on the public highway, no more than 4 lights (excl sides etc) can be used ie be lit. These rules follow MSA regs.

MSA events inc 'real' rallies and speed. We are not a speed event thus I'm sure all the 4x4s taking part will have sufficient lighting through the 4 lights allowed. If the lights are for 'show', and not more than 4 are used overall, then no prob.

this is why i wire all extra lights to just an on/off switch!! saves all this confusion!
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 am

evo4x4 wrote:
Why did the Disco 3 we had from L/R over the w/e have continental deflectors on it; mind you we never saw the Butler either! Rolling Eyes

Some D3s have Halogens. In true LR style, the spec level at which you get HID headlamps has moved around like a glass at a sceance. Up to 2005 the S, SE and HSE had them, then it was SE and HSE only, then SE only when fitted with the winter pack and HSE all specs and more recently HSE only. Then there's the bi-directional HIDs that were an option for HSEs, that have additional lights for cornering. All very Citroen DS. Sleep

Anyway, enough of the spec geekery. HIDs have a beam refocus switch whereas Halogens still rely on deflectors. Bulb
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 am

evo4x4 wrote:

Some D3s have Halogens. In true LR style, the spec level at which you get HID headlamps has moved around like a glass at a sceance. Up to 2005 the S, SE and HSE had them, then it was SE and HSE only, then SE only when fitted with the winter pack and HSE all specs and more recently HSE only. Then there's the bi-directional HIDs that were an option for HSEs, that have additional lights for cornering. All very Citroen DS. Hello? Anyone still with me? Sleep

Anyway, enough of the spec geekery. HIDs have a beam refocus switch whereas Halogens still rely on deflectors. Bulb

And the butler was a limited offer, only available if you test drove a Full-Fat Range Rover pig
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: serious question-roof lights   serious question-roof lights Empty

Back to top Go down

serious question-roof lights
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next