Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram

Go down 
+13
Jack
General Confusion
Sandy
evo4x4
richie
Skibum346
BOFA Bill
smiler1
bigdave g4
Alane
Paul_H
sycopaff
tpb4x4
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tpb4x4
Event Organiser
tpb4x4

ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram Empty
PostSubject: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:17 am

A tulip diagram is a pictorial representation of a navigation instruction in a rally roadbook depicting an intersection or a segment of road usually made up of a ball and arrow schematic. It may also include objects in sight of the road that can serve as navigational references. The ball at the base of the tulip denotes the point one will enter the intersection or road segment and the arrowhead shows the direction out of the intersection or away from the road segment. Tulip diagrams only approximate the configuration of roads and intersections as they appear upon approach, only including enough details to enable identification of the location. (Aerial Photo of a Right Turn Sample Tulip Diagram shown below)

Tulip diagrams are named after the Tulip Rally (Tulpen rally) in Holland where the format was first used in the 1950's.

The aerial photograph to below shows an intersection with a main road and a side street to the right which we wish to direct riders to take, as shown by the yellow arrow. Below the aerial photograph is the tulip diagram used to represent this turn instruction. The large ball or dot at the bottom of the diagram shows the point where one approaches the junction from, and the arrowhead shows the direction one is to take to exit the road segment or intersection.

Also, below is a map that shows a route along with a 'Tulip Roadbook' that goes with it. I have also included an explanation from a road rally using the examples below:

1: At the starting point you must write down the mileage from your car and the time from the Scatter Rally Clock. This is important as it is used for scoring and you will need this information to ensure you are arriving and leaving the control points at the correct time.

2: Leave the start area and turn LEFT. Note the mileage on the left of the sheet has been 0.00, this will now change.

3: Drive 0.3 km (300m), at the T-intersection, with Yield sign, turn RIGHT. There is a sign pointing to CC Hoganas.

4: Drive 0.2 km (200m), follow sharp bend to LEFT. Note: the total mileage is now 0.5 km (500m).

5: Drive 1.3 km, follow sharp bend to RIGHT.

6: Drive 0.1 km (100m), turn LEFT towards S.Vram.

ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram Exampl10

ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram Exampl11

ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram Exampl12
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
sycopaff
Sergeant
Sergeant
sycopaff

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:08 am

are these mileages on the notes always in new money? if it were in miles it would be easier to figure out the distance to the next corner and if you've over shot it!

or am i being dramatic? not done it before!lol
Back to top Go down
Paul_H
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Paul_H

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:16 am

take this is how your doing the road book then Tim ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.paul-henry.me.uk
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:22 am

These maps are much easier to follow on the move than proper maps.
Back to top Go down
bigdave g4
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
bigdave g4

Location : THE DARKSIDE WHERE ALL JAPS ARE CRUSHED & LANDROVERS ARE WORSHIPED

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:27 am

for those of you who have never come across a tulip book, do not worry they are a much easyer to read understand solution to a map, trust me they are easy to understand all will become clear.
Back to top Go down
Paul_H
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Paul_H

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:29 am

yeah they are easy to read and alot easier than a os map to follow have used them a couple of times with the motorsports when we get the safety manuals some organisers will put tulip guide in for the run into stage and any specific paths that must be used to or from the stage
Back to top Go down
smiler1
Private
Private
smiler1

PostSubject: Tulip maps   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 am

On an O.S Map, I could put you 3 Rounds from an 81 mm Mortar to within 15m @ 5675m. Not quite sure how close I could get it with a Tulip Map! My wife can nav, she likes flowers! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 am

Great, weil aw be following ye roon then mon?

Sorted Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 am

smiler1 wrote:
On an O.S Map, I could put you 3 Rounds from an 81 mm Mortar to within 15m @ 5675m. Not quite sure how close I could get it with a Tulip Map! My wife can nav, she likes flowers! Very Happy

That'll come in handy for the traffic jams.... let me know if you need us to carry a round each... it is after all traditional...!

ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram Affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamskibum.com
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:08 am

WHIT, wwe aw buy a 'round'?
jings oh, ahm skint
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Another version, but all helps

http://www.ilkleymotorclub.org.uk/Jubilee/Run/Roadbook.pdf

If you want in Swindon lodge on the Friday night, we could run through some old routes we have, they are easy, look a LOT more complicated than they are, some hints, as you go through an instruction, but a PENCIL line through it, BUT have different coloured pencils, then, if you have to back track at all, then when you go the correct way, may be through some you have been before, you put a different coloured line through, your not confused by the previous visit etc.

I DON'T want any of you to worry, they really really are easy, once shown them by some one, or it clicks with you.

Distance etc from one to the other, total distance, instruction when to Zero. GOOD 'you are here' i.e Hotel name, Cafe name etc.

Any worries PM me or 07985 117 277

p.s.
We have a special road book for Bill, it starts in Inverness, and the day after we leave the secret location, which is "£$%^&*() Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Ritchie, Ive got a worry Razz
Back to top Go down
Paul_H
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Paul_H

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:28 pm

It might be worth grabbing a copy of Total Off Road one month as they do road books for green laneing, it will help give you an idea of what a full road book looks like

I will second what Ritchie said about coloured pencils, having been involved in motorsports for a number of years that tip was given to me way back and when using a true road book has been called into play and got me out of trouble when iv needed it.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Per all above; Tulips sound worse than they really are. We are not out to lose anyone on the route and want all to get to their destinations - and safely. This is a fun event not the Monte Carlo WRC – hence we’ve added a compass direction for extra assistance.

The golden rule is to follow the main road or main track to the distance shown on the roadbook eg per below 3.1 miles, then take the action as drawn and described. And yes; as suggested, tick off the junction last visited – so you will know exactly where you are.

Our Tulip layout will be in columns across:

1. Accumulative Distance for the leg of the route (from zero), 0, 3.1, 4.2, 6.9 and upwards
2. Individual Distance to next Junction, eg 3.1 miles, 0.9 miles, 2.7 miles etc
3. The tulip ie the diagram of the Junction and your direction of travel from the junction
4. Compass Direction, eg SE (ie the direction you will find yourself going in immediately after the turn)
5. Other details eg ‘Follow A34’ ‘Go under bridge’

All the marshals are familiar with the above and can help out any worried crews prior to the start; and a good many entrants will also be able to help anyone.
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 pm

We used reset the clock at the distance to make it easier to tell when the next turn is coming up.

Although at some point you pretty much guaranteed to forget to do it which throws you out, lol
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:41 pm

thats why ye write doon the figuras at each stage.
Also, as its in miles we will pick up the imports on the way home.
hehehehe
I wonder if the road signs are being converted to Miles.

Opps, ther goes another cluie.

Ritchie
Back to top Go down
sycopaff
Sergeant
Sergeant
sycopaff

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 am

well it all sound like bloody good fun to me! cant wait! the misses is a little worried! oh well!
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:08 am

She'll do great. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 pm

smiler1 wrote:

Good drills!

thats what I'm planning....
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 2:12 am

For anyone taking a TomTom Satnav, there is a useful little add-in here http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk

I have used it a number of times with tulip maps as my odometer is out due to the larger tyres that I have fitted.
Back to top Go down
http://teamwickes.webs.com
Jack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Jack

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 3:29 am

i forgot about my larger tyres throwing it off Shocked
Back to top Go down
blindpugh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
blindpugh

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:19 am

Are the distance between waypoints in miles or KM as my landy being ex MOD runs in Km on the speedo.
Icon Landy
Back to top Go down
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 am

will it matter?
Ther never acurate

anon Very Happy

(ye wilnae know till the start so have the calculation at the ready, just in case)
Back to top Go down
blindpugh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
blindpugh

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 am

Looks like I will be using the Garmin to keep an eye on the mileage,well Debs will as she is in charge of directions.
Back to top Go down
Alane
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Alane

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:32 am

1 mississippi - 2 mississippi OK turn left Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram   ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram Empty

Back to top Go down

ADVICE: How to Read a Tulip Map/Diagram
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next