Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Hello from The Nutts

Go down 
+8
mrsnutt
Sandy
Joliet Jake
Wal
Mark Avo
nickburt
Magpie
Nuttster
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nuttster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Hello from The Nutts Empty
PostSubject: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 7:31 pm

My wife and I spotted the H4H stand at TG Live yesterday.

As is usual we made a bee line to unburden ourselves of a little wedge and got talking to a very agreeable and enthusiastic chap called Keith.

He immediately started to tell us proudly about the Rally, its route, history, camaraderie and success over the last 3 years. Well I'm an absolute sucker for WWII history and Mrs Nutt is also much more interested than your average 30 year old shoe and handbag addict but then Keith dropped the clanger. This was the big one. Keith explained that if we could buy/borrow or steal a 4x4 and were prepared to do a little fundraising we could be part of this awesome sounding journey.

At this point we had to pick ourselves up off the floor as we bought an FL2 just earlier this year and neither of us are afraid of a little hard work. He asked us if we had done any off roading. Sadly we've done no more than drive "Gus" round a grassy field but luckily we're going on a Land Rover off road training half day today.

We had actually been planning a road trip next year but we had been thinking about taking my little sports car over to Nurburg and across to Bilbao via a few other places but we both looked at each other and could tell we had each others approval to postpone that a year to be part of this.

Now I don't believe in fate or divine inspiration but all this coincidence was just far too delicious as I've always wanted to do a sort of WWII pilgrimage taking in the cemetery’s and Pegasus bridge.

Then Keith introduced is to a big cheerful fella called Frank who's apparently know for poor reliability of his "moving parts". Well I'm just getting back at Frank as he did a very good job of selling the last Hero bear to my mrs.

We got home last night and watched the 2012 DVD which the chaps gave us, lapping up every minute of it. I love the photo of the 3 kids in the fox holes at Bastogne. Really put things into perspective.

Now we have another cuddly toy on the spare sofa (thanks Frank), an application form in the printer and we're desperately hoping we don't turn out to be completely hopeless at driving off road today

Just wanted to let you good folks on here we're going to take a day or two to think about it whilst we complete the form but basically we're both sold and it would be an honour and a privilege to be part of H4H Rally 2013!
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Welcome

Go for it - you'll love every minute!

Between you and me though, just keep an eye on the moving goalposts (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Bet the chap called Keith never told you about those....... no I thought not. No surprise there then clown

Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi and Hello from The Nutts 302124to the madhouse.

As Magpie says, did he tell you about the moving goal posts?

If you're into WW2 history, this is the trip for you, you'll love it, the long days, the confusing road books, the impossible tasks, but most of all the camaraderie and spirit of the event.

As for Frank, yes, he's known for failing moving parts and for extortion and bribery.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 3:34 am

Hang on... this is too good to be true. Is this real or a ringer to justify a 3 day jolly?

Of course its real and of course we know it wasn't a jolly but a very successful fund raising and pr session so y welcome. I had only a passing interest in the history before last year but now I'm hooked so I'd say you will love it.

Please ignore all the nasty comments from the bitter and twisted competitors, they're just trying to scare you. Its your unsung heroes the marshals that will tell no lies. As for you caring, ever loving organizers, you've already met them so you can make up your own mind.

As for chatting with frank, well done. Being skilled in foreign languages will help whilst on the rally. Please learn the following phrase in french and German.

'And a beer for those wonderful marshals please. - yes large, thank you'

Welcome to the family, you won't regret it.
Back to top Go down
Wal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Wal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 3:49 am

Hi and welcome from Team Meerkat(2012)
Back to top Go down
Joliet Jake
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 4:34 am

HI & welcome from Team Blues Brothers(2012,2013) Dance Dance Dance
Back to top Go down
Nuttster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 am

What a wicked reception. Thanks folks.

It's 2000 miles to Austria, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses Wink

I guess I'm off to read the sticky then the inevitable fund raising sub forum, since we've already completed the application form.

Oh and we did the LR experience thing today. Wow, the Freelander is pretty capable Smile

{Edit: Oh, we need team name/theme}
Back to top Go down
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 5:37 am

Mark Avo wrote:
Hang on... this is too good to be true. Is this real or a ringer to justify a 3 day jolly?

Of course its real and of course we know it wasn't a jolly but a very successful fund raising and pr session so y welcome. I had only a passing interest in the history before last year but now I'm hooked so I'd say you will love it.

Please ignore all the nasty comments from the bitter and twisted competitors, they're just trying to scare you. Its your unsung heroes the marshals that will tell no lies. As for you caring, ever loving organizers, you've already met them so you can make up your own mind.

As for chatting with frank, well done. Being skilled in foreign languages will help whilst on the rally. Please learn the following phrase in french and German.

'And a beer for those wonderful marshals please. - yes large, thank you'

Welcome to the family, you won't regret it.

Seconded!

Welcome !
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 am

When I mentioned keeping a look out for the ever moving goal posts, I forgot to tell you to beware of the beer drinking marshalls - Guinness they can be pretty tough on the rules and regulations! However, they're easily bought clown
Back to top Go down
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 am

'Cheap' is the word youre looking for
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 am

Make that Cheap AND easy bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am

nickburt wrote:
Make that Cheap AND easy bounce

but sadly not free! lol!
Back to top Go down
Nuttster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 am

Well thats an amazing coincidence. Bribery is my specialty Smile

How well do people fair in two man teams? Given its an endurance event and we're both completely green should we really think about enlisting a third or am I just worrying?
Back to top Go down
mrsnutt
Private
Private
mrsnutt

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:15 am

Hello from Mrs Nutt!

We're both really excited about the prospect of joining the 2013 rally ... just filling out the entry form to post tomorrow ... fingers crossed!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 5:57 pm

2 is the norm so i wouldn't worry.

Although the event is long its not full out endurance. The only physical challenge is not killing your team mate after 2 weeks in a car.
Most evenings and nights are free so you should be fine.
If you have more than 2 you need to balance the advantage against the extra space used in the vehicle

Its all quite civilised really
Back to top Go down
Nuttster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Thats good to know thanks Mark. I have a mate who'd love to do something like this but the wife is plenty keen too and its her car!

Also we still enjoy each others company (sometimes) as we've only been married a year.

Does anyone here live anywhere near Milton Keynes? We'd love to meet up and buy them a pint so we could really pick their brains about the format of the event, preparation and of course, fund raising!
Back to top Go down
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Dan, dont worry,

My wife Gill and I did the 2010 event 2 weeks after getting married, awesome honeymoon! We marshalled in 2011 and Gill took a year out this year just after having our first rug rat/torch holder/socket passer.

We're back marshalling again in 2013!

We found it absolutely awesome and we've made lifelong friends.

Oh, Mrs Creedy, you'll find Gill is much more of a stickler for the rules than I am, you have been warned!!!!!
Back to top Go down
V8Simon
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
V8Simon

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Hello & Welcome
Back to top Go down
Nuttster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 11:42 pm

<<<< Huh huh

Just realised my wife and I are "Private Nutts"

Wink
Back to top Go down
S1hdj
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 12:45 am

Private Nutts, Welcome guys, you will love the rally, I took part in the 2010 and was a real emotional roller coaster. Books,films and documentaries don't really cut the mustard compared to the things you will see and feel on the historical side of things Wink
Keith and the gang really have done a top job organising this event.
Proud to be part of it again. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.british-discovery.com
Nuttster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 1:18 am

Well we put the paperwork in the post this morning Smile
Back to top Go down
Joliet Jake
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 3:35 am

Mark Avo wrote:
2 is the norm so i wouldn't worry.

Although the event is long its not full out endurance. The only physical challenge is not killing your team mate after 2 weeks in a car.
Most evenings and nights are free so you should be fine.
If you have more than 2 you need to balance the advantage against the extra space used in the vehicle

Its all quite civilised really
Try 2 Days!!!!!!LOL Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 am

Just catching up with the forum after 5 days in B'ham at Top Gear Live - even think I've got a Brummie accent now Headspin

Welcome aboard 'Private Nutts' - great to talk to you both and I apologise for imposing my young blonde assistant (aka Frank) on you. clown As ever, we think the rally and its experience is brilliant but, as organisers we would - that is why hearing the tale from the likes of Frank (I apologise yet again! pirat ) gives the true picture. cheers

Moving goal posts?? No idea what people are talking about Fun - bribe the marshals and all will be fine Guinness

By the way, glad your LRE day went well. And yep the FL2 is a very capable machine. Did you chat about tyres?
Back to top Go down
Nuttster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:42 am

Hi Keith, had such a great day at LR we forgot to talk tyres with them but theres 3 ex squaddies at work who are LR nuts (2 disco's and a defender between them) but everyone seems to say Grabber AT2's if I can get them in my size, or maybe get some steels. Time still to research that stuff. I'm more concerned with learning how to fund raise. Luckily I see theres a sub forum for that too.

Drop me a PM if you don't get any paperwork from us this week or if you have any questions for us.

I thought goal posts were meant to move, isn't that what made Britain and the British Great?

You must be knackered after 3 days jolly... I mean hectic promotional commitment Wink
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:59 am

Yep Dan - The General Grabber AT2 is what you should aim for.

Once we get your App Form you'll get a load of attachments from us - these inc fund raising ideas. Doing the first is the worst - but it'll give you confidence and then you'll get hooked.

Must admit, that is the first show we've diplayed at where we've had to wear slippers clown - most of them we go to require wellies and a brollie Rolling Eyes

Take care - and will be in contact cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from The Nutts   Hello from The Nutts Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from The Nutts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Discussion :: Say Hello to New H4H Rally Forum Members-
Jump to: