Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Trip computers & iPhone apps

Go down 
+8
neil610
Skibum346
tonic
evo4x4
Nuck
richie
tpb4x4
nickburt
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

Trip computers & iPhone apps Empty
PostSubject: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 am

Been trying a few trip computer style apps out on the Iphone.

Horizspeed - but I can't get it fully functioning
Trip Compute - seems to be quite good
Speedometer Maps and tracks - not 100% sure this is the sort of thing we need, but could be useful for recording the whole trip
Car Computer - looks reasonably good
my Dash - simple, but effective
GPStuner - not bad, lots of functions
MotionX GPS - good for location and recording trip records
Navfree (UK & Ireland only though) - good functionality
Memorymap - current version good for location and waypoints - new version due out in a couple weeks wiuth much better navigation. Only as good as the maps - so mainly UK only.

Most of the above would be useful for navigation by Tulip diagrams, i.e. you need a trip meter to reset distance between waypoints
Some will also post your location to the likes of Facebook and Twitter, or email, so useful as a sort of tracker.

Those of the Class of 2010 who remember the trip meter we had running on the Netbook, along side Autoroute ..... I've been trying to get the guy who wrote the programme code to re-vamp it, but with no luck at the moment. Not sure if he's lost interest, or too busy doing other things.
I thought we were onto a good thing with it. It proved itself last year, just needs a few tweaks to make it perfect.
If only he realised that there's a market out there for it ...... we also used it on the MAC last year.
If there are any VB programmers out there - is it possible to de-compile the .exe file to be able to modify the code? I suspect not.

I anyone knows of any other software based trip meters etc.... please share here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
tpb4x4
Event Organiser
tpb4x4

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 11:15 am

If you have a iPhone, a very good app to get (which may have been used on the recce, etc - not saying to much Smile) is called 'Dashboard' Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 am

Nick on the case, Guy in POCUK, does the beta stuff for nav man etc, just trying to find him
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 am

richie wrote:
Nick on the case, Guy in POCUK, does the beta stuff for nav man etc, just trying to find him

Thanks Richie.

By the way, L200 Owners Club workshop weekend this weekend, if you're at a loose end Sat or Sun - pop in and take the mick in the way only you can clown
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Spanners bacon butties order of the day then ?
Back to top Go down
Nuck
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 am

Hey lads,

I'm Nuck from POCUK. I'm the chap who is a developer for Navit - www.navit-project.org - as well as their support manager.

Navit is a free, cross platform (Windows, Linux, Android) GPS program that uses free maps via open street maps - www.openstreetmaps.org. It's in stable beta. What does that mean? It's feature rich and rarely crashes, but configuring it is a pain in the arse. The iPhone port is iffy, as none of the development team have iPhones :-)

Here's a list of downloads, for various operating systems (higher numbers are far better)
Android - Trip computers & iPhone apps Andoid
Windows - http://download.navit-project.org/navit/win32/svn/
Windows CE / Windows Mobile - http://download.navit-project.org/navit/wince/svn/
Linux - Please compile from source, I will help you. There are instructions in the Wiki.

A good place to start is by looking at http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Main_Page

The wiki is very comprehensive and includes links to the maps server - maps.navit-project.org - and Contacts. I can be found on the IRC channel ( http://url.ie/8rm4 ) , my username is Number6. I'm always there, so I may not reply straight away - if I'm in work, for example.

Since Navit is mainly based on OSM data, and a GPS program is only as good as the data, there may be "gaps" in areas. There's not a lot we can do about that, unless you start mapping the area for OSM. If there are gaps / missing roads, etc on www.openstreetmaps.org then the downloads from the maps server will also have these gaps.

If you need anything, let me know. I'll be watching this topic.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 am

Hi Nuck - Many thanks re the details above.

However, so as not to confuse or over-complicate matters, I want to re-assure the rally entrants (some of whom may be less familiar with computer technology) that their needs remain basic;

1. A GPS with Euro maps eg TomTom
2. A method of ensuring accurate distance travelled (eg Dashboard app on iPhone) or simply the vehicles 'trip' readout

All will be given route instructions via Tulips - the GPS is merely to assist safety.

Some entrants, however, may wish to explore your post above - thus Nuck we fully appreciate the sharing of your knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Nuck
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:19 am

1. The maps can cover europe. There are pre defined maps for Europe and the UK.

2. There is an odometer.

The configuration may be daunting, however.

If you give me a list of devices, or have any other questions, please let me know.
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 am

Doesn't matter how good you're GPS,measuring equipment,mileometer, etc is. Doesn't mean anything when the 'organisers' throw in a few 'wobblies' !!!
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:11 am

Nuck wrote:

If you need anything, let me know. I'll be watching this topic.

nickburt wrote:

Those of the Class of 2010 who remember the trip meter we had running on the Netbook, along side Autoroute ..... I've been trying to get the guy who wrote the programme code to re-vamp it, but with no luck at the moment. Not sure if he's lost interest, or too busy doing other things.
I thought we were onto a good thing with it. It proved itself last year, just needs a few tweaks to make it perfect.
If only he realised that there's a market out there for it ...... we also used it on the MAC last year.
If there are any VB programmers out there - is it possible to de-compile the .exe file to be able to modify the code? I suspect not.

Nuck, I wonder if this is something you might be interested in getting involved in, even if it means starting fro a fresh??

I'll get in touch next week sometime, when I've got a bit more time to explain what has been developed so far.
Basically, it's a multiple waypoint and stage trip meter, that uses a GPS signal (NMEA) input via a bluetooth com port to provide time and distance display that is selectively resettable.
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 am

tonic wrote:
Doesn't matter how good you're GPS,measuring equipment,mileometer, etc is. Doesn't mean anything when the 'organisers' throw in a few 'wobblies' !!!

They don't (didn't) do (did) they Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:14 am

richie wrote:
Spanners bacon butties order of the day then ?

Unfortunatley for us, he was playing rugby this morning, and hadn't finished his homework in time this afternoon.
Still hasn't done his homework, so he won't be allowed out tomorrow either Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
tpb4x4
Event Organiser
tpb4x4

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 11:28 am

tonic wrote:

I don't know what you mean Shocked Razz Very Happy Cool Wink
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:48 am

Totally agree with you Tim - I've not idea whatsoever what Tonic is on about!!!!
Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Doesn't matter how good you're GPS,measuring equipment,mileometer, etc is. Doesn't mean anything when the 'organisers' throw in a few 'wobblies' !!! pirat Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 5:42 am

evo4x4 wrote:
Totally agree with you Tim - I've not idea whatsoever what Tonic is on about!!!!
Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Doesn't matter how good you're GPS,measuring equipment,mileometer, etc is. Doesn't mean anything when the 'organisers' throw in a few 'wobblies' !!! pirat Twisted Evil
Rassenfrassen Miles... rasssenfrassen Kilometers... rassenfrassenrassenfrassen Dick Dastardly!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamskibum.com
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:13 am

Headspin Laughing
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:22 am

So Keith, you're standing on your head and spinning round Headspin . That's what we had to do sometimes to follow the Tulips!!!! Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
neil610
Sergeant
Sergeant
neil610

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 7:19 am

Tulips and Palm plants ,,,,,,,the 2011 trips going to be a tough one
Back to top Go down
http://www.sussex4heroes.com/
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:33 am

Of course! pirat
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 7:34 am

Just an update for Iphone users. Not 100% sure if these are available for Android users, pretty sure Motion X and GPS Tuner are.

I've been running several apps trying them out and have come up with three options to use a trip meters. (i.e. good for "tripping" the distance between tulips/waypoints). Also good for recording where you've been.

MotionX.
Probably the best one and better if you use the paid for version (not expensive). Excellent trip meter etc. Can be set up on statute or metric distances. Will also record route, which can then be shared via email, posted to Facebook/Twitter etc...
We used it on the Mac to post to a Blog. The posting does contain a lot of MotionX own advertising, but a small price to pay and edit when you get home.
The main "Record Track" screen his very useful and easily configurable to show the info you prefer to see.

GPSTuner.
Another good one for recording routes and to use as a trip meter between waypoints/tulips, can be set up to show statute or metric distances and email gpx files, but doesn't link well for views to see your recorded route on the Blogs I've tried it on. Now doubt there's one out there somewhere that will accept gpx files email direct into the Blog.

GPS Stone.
A nice simple trip meter (same functionality as the two above), but a lot less cluttered and therefore daunting if you're wary of using such apps.
Doesn't save and email too well. But good for a highly visible trip meter.

REMEMBER - when using any of these, or just good practice anyway. Make sure you turn data roaming off when abroad.

All of the above apps will work with mapping on the screen, but, to show the maps, it needs a data connection and will eat any data roaming allowances you have VERY quickly. With data turned off, the app will still record a file gpx etc... and display the trip data etc... you just won't be able to see it on a map on the screen.

When using an Iphone - MAKE SURE you shut down all apps PROPERLY (double click on the bottom button to see what apps are running and press and hold the row of apps to get them "wiggling", then press on the red dot with the minus sign in it).

Many of the GPA/mapping apps will continue to run in the back ground, even if you just navigate away from them, therefore continueing to use data connections, if open (i.e. you've forgotten to turn off data roaming).

I know of one guy at work who didn't realise that apps need to be shut down properly and came home from a foriegn holiday to a £900, YES £900 phone bill - he'd only been abroad for a week !!! But all the apps he has that continue to run in the back ground becasue they hadn't been shut down properly were still data connected. (Email, MMS etc... etc...

If anyone needs a hand with GPS, Iphone Apps etc... give me a shout and I'll try and help - pm before the rally and at the start or during the rally.
Back to top Go down
chopper_gray
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
chopper_gray

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm liking motionx iPad version is excellent
Back to top Go down
http://surplusandsafety.com
Dee Pacey
Corporal
Corporal
Dee Pacey

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:03 am

I used Dashboard last year for our Odo is pretty good
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamrockape.co.uk
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 6:55 am

The reconnaissance also used Dashboard. Fun
Back to top Go down
TeamMITIE
Private
Private
TeamMITIE

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 8:30 pm

No fancy equipment from us, all we're gonna be using is the trip on the dashboard, my phone is from the 70's and can barely send a text on it its so crap!!

We managed fine last year, with me reminding dave 'TRIIIIIIIIP' whilst trying to calm kids down in the back lol!!!! And came 13th overall!! So for you technophobes, it can be done!!!! Wink

Can't WAIT for this year!!! Smile

Party Drive

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Wal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Wal

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:48 am

This is good to hear affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trip computers & iPhone apps   Trip computers & iPhone apps Empty

Back to top Go down

Trip computers & iPhone apps
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next