Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Fuel Choice and availability

Go down 
+4
BOFA Bill
General Confusion
evo4x4
Garethep
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Garethep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Fuel Choice and availability Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 4:54 am

Hi Guys,

We are currently investigating the possibility of doing the rally in our landrover 101 ambulance because we like a bit of a challenge and it will give us the incentive to actually fix the thing rather than leave it rotting in the corner of the yard! Obviously running it on petrol will be somewhat crippling financially so we are looking at alternatives. An LPG conversion is possibly the easiest option as we have most of the bits already but we are also considering a diesel engine conversion.

My question to the combined wisdom of the forum is this: - The rally regs state that enough fuel must be carried for 200 mile stages. at the 10mpg or so that we expect to get from the beast that means 120 litres of LPG to allow for unusable capacity. Max realistic capacity is 2 x 100 litre tanks giving possibly 50-70 miles reserve (plus petrol for emergencies). Having very little experience of driving on the continent I have no idea if LPG is readily available enough for us to carry enough fuel between fillups without major diversions looking for gas. A diesel engine will give approximately the same "pence per mile" figure but will only need approx half the fuel to do it. (It will however be missing that v8 sound!)

So the main questions are:

1-What is the availabilty of LPG on the proposed route.

2-What is the cost differential between LPG and diesel in the countries visited.

3-What would you guys do in our shoes. (answers such as using an L200 will be treated with the contempt they deserve Very Happy )

Many Thanks in advance

Gareth
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:55 am

Gareth - No doubt Nick will be along soon and offer his detailed techo knowledge (and explain the benefits of a L200! Rolling Eyes ) but to your Q: Yes you might have a petrol guzzler but there will be plenty of opportunities to top up eg - there are long stretches of motorways all of which have the usual services inc LPG. In the main it's a matter of keeping a decent amount of fuel in the tank at all times (say down to a 1/4).

You will pass through Luxembourg twice (and dependent on navigiation it could be nil, once, three or four times!!). The Principality has cheap(ish) fuel and many on the rally topped up their Jerry cans there.

As for 'real' costs and other info this might be worth a look http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/filling_up.php

Last edited by evo4x4 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Garethep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 6:19 am

Cheers Keith,
Knowing that there are plenty of opportunities to refill with LPG is good to know and leaves the decision making process reliant on simple mechanical issues.

Cheers

Gareth
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 am

My Jeep Cherokee goes through petrol like its connected direct to Piper Alpha Rolling Eyes

We never found a time when we had problems getting fuel. As Keith says, try not to let your tank go below 1/4.

I think the guy in Luxembourg is probably still in Barbados with the amount of us that pulled in and filled up because of how cheap it was Laughing

IIRC some of the overnight stops had fuel stations very close by (that's if you manage to navigate to the overnight stops!)
Back to top Go down
http://teamwickes.webs.com
BOFA Bill
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
BOFA Bill

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 11:48 am

Aye ye haid plenty og 'Gas' reet enough Steve.
Dunno aboot it being LPG tho

anon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bofa4x4.com
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 3:16 am

evo4x4 wrote:
Gareth - No doubt Nick will be along soon and offer his detailed techo knowledge (and explain the benefits of a L200! Rolling Eyes ) .......................

Fuel Choice and availability Icon_razz Fuel Choice and availability Icon_razz Fuel Choice and availability Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Garethep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 6:37 am

Cheers guys, I think we are probably going to go the LPG route if only to keep the v8 soundtrack! Must pull finger out and get the beast running and roadworthy I suppose :-)

Back to top Go down
TOM@TEAMGALLOWAY
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 2:06 am

Don't worry I've got a decent tow rope, I tested it a week or so ago pulling a certain persons L200 out of the mud when it got rather stuck.......
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 am

TOM@TEAMGALLOWAY wrote:
Don't worry I've got a decent tow rope, I tested it a week or so ago pulling a certain persons L200 out of the mud when it got rather stuck.......

I would like to point out, at this juncture, it wasn't me clown
Back to top Go down
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 5:26 am

nickburt wrote:
TOM@TEAMGALLOWAY wrote:

I'm sure it wasnt, yours isnt allowed in the mud is it??????

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 5:35 am

Sandy wrote:
nickburt wrote:
TOM@TEAMGALLOWAY wrote:

I'm sure it wasnt, yours isnt allowed in the mud is it??????

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oooooo - hmmmmmm .........
Back to top Go down
Garethep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 8:27 am

TOM@TEAMGALLOWAY wrote:

Mate,
I don't know what's more worrying......you got.g shiny or Stuart going Japanese! You will be pleased to hear that I've been perfecting my being towed skills today following the failure of a very shiny new dangled electronic ignition thingy.....I'm thinking of rebranding myself as team luddite!
Back to top Go down
chopper_gray
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
chopper_gray

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:18 am

I will point out that I did not get my l200 stuck in the mud. My darling wife was piloting the vehicle through that particular fields boggy drainage ditch. I will point out that someones disco III almost didn't pull it out due to funny new fangled differentiwatzits.
Back to top Go down
http://surplusandsafety.com
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:35 am

Constructive dialogue. Good to see Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
chopper_gray
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
chopper_gray

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 7:37 am

New clutch. New ignition barrel. New fuel pump and line. A few new wires. The ambulance now runs and will drive. Next time. Fuel filter required
Back to top Go down
http://surplusandsafety.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Choice and availability   Fuel Choice and availability Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Choice and availability
Page 1 of 1