Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Reflections on the Past.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

Reflections on the Past. Empty
PostSubject: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 7:11 am

A comment made by a donor to my H4H Bmycharity page has made me stop and think and remember.
My boat/home is moored in a creek off the main river Hamble.
70 years ago, the whole of the Hamble was filled with Landing craft, indeed the exact spot I am moored in had a landing craft in it.
Further up river cut outs in the river bank to house landing craft are still visible today. The adjacent farm was part of the overspill for Cricket camp(which today is the Manor Farm Country Park) This was one of the biggest camps in this part of the coast and was also the training camp for the disembarkation from Landing Craft at Normandy.For several months before D Day the whole area was in 'quarantine' and residents moved away including the farmer and his family(the sons still running the farm today).
The river was a hive of military and naval activity and then suddenly on the night of the 5th it was empty of all craft and according to local eyewitnesses, eerily quiet.
I look out of my side hatch and wonder how many of those poor souls who departed from this spot actually ever returned.
A sobering thought.
We must never forget their sacrifice.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 am

Sound and poignant words Tony.
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 8:32 am

As you say,Tony, sobering thoughts. Difficult to imagine what it was like this time 70 years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Makes you appreciate even more the freedom we have today.
Back to top Go down
Minnehaha1
Corporal
Corporal
Minnehaha1

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 pm

We have a lot to thank them for.
Back to top Go down
http://braevalfarmcottage.info
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:41 am

Awesome experience today at Lee on Solent. 8 Dakotas took off in line, formed up and flew off to France.
Tomorrow, a drumhead ceremony at Southsea followed by a landing craft assault on the beach and if my security clearance actually comes through , i will be on HMS Bulwark(RN flagship) to watch/photograph and then off to Normandy. Fingers and everything else crossed.
Lots of time & opportunities to reflect.
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 2:30 am

You lucky thing! Have a great and memorable time Tony  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Minnehaha1
Corporal
Corporal
Minnehaha1

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 4:13 am

Tony, I am a bit green with envey Sad 
Back to top Go down
http://braevalfarmcottage.info
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 4:52 am

Sadly, a combination of several factors, main ones being delay to receiving clearance coupled with embarkation time being brought forward, meant that I could not go.
Had to watch from land and watch Bulwark (with one empty place !!) sail without me.
I just hope all the veterans who were also going across on her managed to get on.
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 7:34 am

Oh such a shame. Sad
You'll just have to look forward to the Rally now.....
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 am

By this time on tonight,5th June 1944, The River Hamble had emptied of all the Landing Craft. The gliders & Paratroopers had departed their airfields to embark on the largest invasion known to mankind.
Let us remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice,tonight,tomorrow and in the months to come to give us the freedom we have today.
WE MUST NEVER FORGET
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 10:03 am

There's nothing that can describe how they must have felt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Words are inadequate...........God bless them all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reflections on the Past.   Reflections on the Past. Empty

Back to top Go down

Reflections on the Past.
Page 1 of 1