Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Alternator Upgrade

Go down 
+6
Magpie
evo4x4
mattlynch
Mark Avo
99claydond
El_Hair
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
El_Hair
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
El_Hair

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 3:12 am

It has been pointed out to me (probably quite rightly) that the Alternator on Odie, although working, may be worth upgrading.

Odie, is a 1983 Series 3, 88". As far as I can tell, the current alternator is the standard one rated at 35amps. At the moment, I have a winch, halogen headlamps, halogen spotlights, CB, and a dual-aux (cigarette) socket attached. The battery is an Exide EB705 (12v, 70amps). In addition to what's already attached, I am looking to putting a split-charge on to power a small fridge for the rally as well as a Kenlowe fan.

The winch is a Kingone KDS-10.0 with a trickle amp draw of 60amps, going from 150 to 350 depending on the load.

I've had no problems with the alternator so far, but with extra draw concerns me as to whether I may end up overloading the alternator or draining the batter quite regularly.

If I were to replace the alternator, what would be the best option?

Ta!

Craig
Back to top Go down
http://www.bmycharity.com/teamodie
99claydond
Sergeant
Sergeant
99claydond

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 am

If i were you. rather than put an uprated alternator on, if yours works well.
I'd put a second battery and a split charge system.

I'd then run everything AUX off of the second battery. so you can drain it all you want but the starter battery will always still be "good" and ready to start the car.

IMO that would be much more use to you, you could charge mobiles or anything you like over night from the AUX battery and then still start the car fresh as a diasy.

it also gives the oppotunity that if you dod rain the main battery you can link the two and in theory "jump" yourself.

Dan

Back to top Go down
99claydond
Sergeant
Sergeant
99claydond

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 am

Back to top Go down
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 am

If i were you id look at doing both. A 35a alternator will just about supply enough power for wipers & lights. Start putting on spotlights, demisters etc will max it out so you're actually draining the battery.

So, replace the std alternator with a 100a unit from a disco/rangie but to avoid the need to start upgrading all your wiring fit all the extra stuff to a 2nd battery
Back to top Go down
El_Hair
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
El_Hair

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 6:22 am

Ah! Didn't think of running the non-vehicle stuff from the spare. Though, that makes great sense. For the record, I don't get any fan belt squeaking when using the winch, etc.

Already have an eye on the T-max split charge system.

Is a 100a unit from a Disco/Rangie a straight swap?
Back to top Go down
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 am

Dont know... its a long time since i saw a 2.25 .....
Back to top Go down
El_Hair
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
El_Hair

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 am

No worries. Challenger 4x4 are near me anyway, so I'll give them a shout.

Thanks for the advice  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
mattlynch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
mattlynch

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Ah, Challenger 4x4, very nice people, helped me out with a pair of coil springs on the morning of last years start as regulars will remember. cheers 
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 3:54 am

Hope the advice given has been of help Craig. And of course we echo Matt's comments - Challenger 4x4 were an event partner for 2013 and may well be again for 2014.

Not only did they help Matt on Day 1 they also made arrangements for some major chassis welding on the Unit 7 vehicle (car similar to yours Craig - and which incurred the problem on Salisbury Plain) - otherwise that car would have not even got to the ferry to France. It went on, as did Matt's, to complete the event and return to the UK.  cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:27 am

It went on, as did Matt's, to complete the event and return to the UK.

Of course it did - it was a LANDROVER !! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
edd6565
Private
Private
edd6565

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Been reading this with a keen eye to upgrading mine to a split charge system. Will talk to Challenger 4x4. Many thanks for the info.....One bad note though...Had to sell my disco 2 to help with all the other upgrades I want to my 110 :-(...Wives eh
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 am

edd6565 wrote:
Been reading this with a keen eye to upgrading mine to a split charge system. Will talk to Challenger 4x4. Many thanks for the info.....One bad note though...Had to sell my disco 2 to help with all the other upgrades I want to my 110 :-(...Wives eh

Perhaps you should have kept the Disco and sold the wife.......... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
edd6565
Private
Private
edd6565

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Did that to the first wife but it cost too much  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Life is a learning journey  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
edd6565
Private
Private
edd6565

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:38 am

Cor your right there keith....do not employ a female solicitor when your getting a divorce  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
paul7848
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
paul7848

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 11:41 pm

edd6565 wrote:
Cor your right there keith....do not employ a female solicitor when your getting a divorce  Shocked 
OH HOW TRUE HOW TRUE !!!!!!!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
El_Hair
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
El_Hair

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 am

If anyone is interested, after talking to Keith at Challenger a suitable replacement is a 200tdi alternator (Part No. STC234). So, I'll be ordering one of those :-)
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:34 pm

There you go - the ever helpful Challenger 4x4 and of course the name 'Keith' simply pours out kindness, help, support, sympathy etc  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
El_Hair
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
El_Hair

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 12:00 am

Ah yes, it has to be said the general awesomeness that the name "Keith" imbues shouldn't be under estimated.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 9:22 pm

That's the style Craig cheers  ; and with it you have now ousted Unit 43 and Unit 33 becomes the Organisers' very favourite team.  Rolling Eyes We're sure that all the other crews will be singularly envious of your new found status - and possibly, albeit only sometimes, they will be polite to you!!!  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:36 am

We're sure that all the other crews will be singularly envious of your new found status - and possibly, albeit only sometimes, they will be polite to you!!!

Nah - I don't think so.............. Shocked
Back to top Go down
El_Hair
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
El_Hair

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:56 am

Me neither!
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 6:48 am

Someone has obviously become somewhat delusional  Razz 
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 4:52 am

Someone has obviously become somewhat delusional Couldn't agree more Nick. Unit 43 were delusional in thinking they had 'The Organisers Favourite Team' in the bag  clown  I assume that's what you mean  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Minnehaha1
Corporal
Corporal
Minnehaha1

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Hang about, you cannot give the The Organisers Favourite Team title out just for saying the name Keith! Oh great and mighty one  Hail  Hail  Hail  Hail  Hail  Hail  who's name should never sully the lips of the unworthy. What proof do we have M'lord that the holy name was ever uttered? Is this not unfair to you oh so many of your loyal subjects  Hail Hail who live too far away from the said cathedral of 4x4 who cannot worship on the ground you have touched?
Does this get me my title back? Hail Hail 
Craig, I use an ordinary split charger system on my Disco with two normal batteries. Most of the additional power requirements are furnished from the second one. This can also be used as a back up to the main battery.
Also do not be seduced by the siren call of the organisers, they like the One Ring to Rule Them All will betray you! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha my precious Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
http://braevalfarmcottage.info
Sponsored content

Alternator Upgrade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator Upgrade   Alternator Upgrade Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternator Upgrade
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next