Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Facebook killing the forums?

Go down 
+3
Magpie
richie
nickburt
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

Facebook killing the forums? Empty
PostSubject: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Being a bit crontroversial (as I have a habit of sometimes), I'm posting this on several forums that I'm on.

Several forums I frequent have become either comepletely stagnant, or going that way because there is a Facebook page for the same group of people.
One in particular hasn't had a post in it for months and several others are very, very quiet (normal at this time of year - bit more so obvious now).

This is a big shame, as the forums, when structured in a logical manner, are a great source of information, help and advice.  But all this is getting lost in the daily use of Facebook for general chatter.

I'm all for social media for what it's intended to be, but I do believe, it is destoying the localised resource that forums can be.

Thoughts
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 am

With you on this Nick, as you know big part of POCUK.com forum, killed by facebook and freeloaders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 2:52 am

Quite agree Nick and I, for one, don't like FB or Twitter etc so would like to see the forums continue.
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 4:54 am

Totally agree and we MUST keep this one going.(if only for Richie's poor jokes) flower 
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 5:39 am

From our perspective, the Forum, Facebook and Twitter all have merit and are useful. We are keen that all are used by the rally clan - whereas F/B and Twitter are fine for immediate social contact/information their formats lack that of the forum; which allows for better 'filing' and access to specific subject matters. Oh yes, and Richie's jokes!  Rolling Eyes 

After acceptance of their event entry all rally crews are invited to use our Forum, F/B and Twitter and are given the relevant links. Of course, after that everyone is a free agent and we will continue using the Forum whilst there are users and a demand.
Back to top Go down
Minnehaha1
Corporal
Corporal
Minnehaha1

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 10:34 pm

I agree with you Nick, I find that a forum has a better kind of conversation and, of course Richie's jokes, than other social media (who invented that phrase Evil or Very Mad ?).
I have to say this is one of the better forums that I am on ( farao  Hail  Hail  Hail  Hail   well thought up by the rally organisers, creep creep) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://braevalfarmcottage.info
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Facebook and Twitter are great for quick fire chat and the odd photo, but the ability to structure a forum makes for better management of information.

One particular forum I use has virtually died a death because everyone has moved over to using FB, so, there is now no searchable resource, and that's a real shame, because, in that particular case, the combined knowledge of the forum members is immense.
Back to top Go down
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 2:19 am

I used to think it was, but now I'm not so sure.

I was a late adopter of fb, before i joined i assumed that the the lack of chat on the forums was due to fb.
I now 'know' most of the same people on fb that i did on tne forums and there doesnt seem to be much going on there either.

Whilst there is a bit of chatter about general things, there doesn't seem to be that much that would have fitted into the forums either.

I wonder if people have just tired of posting in general?
Perhaps they're back to relying on conversations held face to face, or perhaps on that new invention, the 'telling bone'
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 4:14 am

I have to say this is one of the better forums that I am on (well thought up by the rally organisers, creep creep) Tim will thank you for your kind words Peter  Very Happy  - others will understand why you now currently top the leader board of 'favoured' entrants  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 4:41 am

Facebook killing the forums? Confus10
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 am

evo4x4 wrote:
I have to say this is one of the better forums that I am on (well thought up by the rally organisers, creep creep) Tim will thank you for your kind words Peter  Very Happy  - others will understand why you now currently top the leader board of 'favoured' entrants  Rolling Eyes 

Another case of bull...t baffling brains cheers 
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:32 am

In continuance  clown  ; others will understand why Team Tonic is not currently top of the leader board of 'favoured' entrants  pirat 
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 am

Terribly sorry Keith. I now realise that with my last post I made a cardinal error.
My post infers that the organising team may actually have brains, Hail 
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 am

tonic wrote:
evo4x4 wrote:

Another case of bull...t baffling brains cheers 

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 am

tonic wrote:
Terribly sorry Keith. I now realise that with my last post I made a cardinal error.
My post infers that the organising team may actually have brains, Hail 

Ha ha .......... there's a thin line ......
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 5:52 am

Mark Avo wrote:
I used to think it was, but now I'm not so sure.

I was a late adopter of fb, before i joined i assumed that the the lack of chat on the forums was due to fb.
I now 'know' most of the same people on fb that i did on tne forums and there doesnt seem to be much going on there either.

Whilst there is a bit of chatter about general things, there doesn't seem to be that much that would have fitted into the forums either.

I wonder if people have just tired of posting in general?
Perhaps they're back to relying on conversations held face to face, or perhaps on that new invention, the 'telling bone'

You possibly have a point there Mark.

However, I'm not so sure, the new invetion is the "telling bone" But how quaint that you should think we might actually talk face to face in this day and age of such things as text speak .......... now, there's another soap box .....
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 6:02 am

Nick, When you're bottom of the list, you may as well go for it !! I mean, what's the worst that can happen ? No, on second thoughts, don't answer that Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 am

tonic wrote:
Nick, When you're bottom of the list, you may as well go for it !! I mean, what's the worst that can happen ? No, on second thoughts, don't answer that Very Happy 

silent 
Back to top Go down
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 7:32 am

Perhaps what's really killing forums is their amazing ability to go so completely off the original topic that it's almost impossible to follow what the thread is all about?
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 7:36 am

Keep up man,Keep up ! Bulb 
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 am

Mark Avo wrote:
Perhaps what's really killing forums is their amazing ability to go so completely off the original topic that it's almost impossible to follow what the thread is all about?

Indeed .....  Suspect 
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 7:44 am

Consider myself reprimanded Twisted Evil 
What is really needed to keep a forum going is lot's of activity
Back to top Go down
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 am

Serious. IMO what is killing Forums is the use of Iphones & the like. To participate in forum you really need to sit in front of your computor but with a 'modern' phone , you have instants access to FB,twitter etc and can respond wherever you are.
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 am

That's probably a good point Tony.
Back to top Go down
Mark Avo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Mark Avo

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 am

Nope, i do most of my twatting, arsebooking, browsing, foruming etc on the same tablet,

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Facebook killing the forums?   Facebook killing the forums? Empty

Back to top Go down

Facebook killing the forums?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next