Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Upottery Airfield

Go down 
+3
evo4x4
richie
MightyLewis12
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MightyLewis12
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyWed May 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi everyone! Only 4 (and a bit weeks to go!!!)

Last weekend, Andrew and I, in our Team 12 Chariot (yes a green oval and proud) went to visit the starting point of Easy Company, Upottery Airfield in Devon. What started off as just a drive past of the Airfield Gate, with a Bofers (that appeared in Episode 1, but is dated 1955) as a gate guard.

I managed to talk to a guy from the South West Airfield Heritage Trust http://www.southwestairfields.co.uk who was really helpful and he made sime calls for me to the owner of the airfield, who in turn let me have access to the airfield when he realised what we were doing.

I was a great hour or so on the airfield, although there really isn't much there anymore, we did geta couple of good photo's (which I'll try to attach).

We also went to visit the memorial at a near by cross roads for those that didnt make across the channel that night of 5th/6th June 1944.

It felt great for us a s Team 12 to actually visit the place where those we are retracing started.

Now lets see if I can get those pictures on here?

Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyThu May 10, 2012 4:19 am

if you dont get the pictures to work, email them to me,and I will attach to your post

richie@motorsportlogistics.co.uk

see, just a friendly marshall !!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyThu May 10, 2012 4:30 am

Good one John - and let the story continue cheers
Back to top Go down
landie68rover
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
landie68rover

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:01 am

richie wrote:

see, just a friendly marshall !!!!

Are the marshall's more Team friendly than our uhmmmmmmmm what are they called????? oh yes organisers Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.lesmazettesgites.com
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyThu May 10, 2012 6:21 am

It's all smoke and mirrors; the organisers are the nice guys - the marshals are simply providing a false sense of security to you. On the night.............Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyFri May 11, 2012 1:26 am

Upottery Airfield John3

Upottery Airfield John2

Upottery Airfield JOHN1

three pictures = three beers Guinness
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
Ngiri
Corporal
Corporal
Ngiri

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyFri May 11, 2012 2:04 am

Nice photos John.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyFri May 11, 2012 7:36 am

Good one John cheers
Back to top Go down
MightyLewis12
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyFri May 11, 2012 9:41 pm

3 cold ones for you Rich....cheers for putting them on!
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyFri May 11, 2012 9:59 pm

John - Sorry but that means penalty points for Car 12 Rolling Eyes Bribery of the marshals to gain an unfair advantage can't be tolerated Evil or Very Mad

Please let me have the beers I'll look after them. clown
Back to top Go down
MightyLewis12
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyFri May 11, 2012 10:44 pm

This could cost me an awful lot of points....I have a habbit of buying the powers that be....beer!
Back to top Go down
MightyLewis12
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyMon May 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Wow this little link up with South West Airfields Heritage Trust (www.southwestairfields.co.uk) has really expanded. We have been invited to attend their annual Wings and Wheels weekend, in July to have a stand and event be joined by the actor Mathew Leitch, who played Floyd Talbert in ‘BAND OF BROTHERS’.

July 14th-15th at Dunkerswell Airfield..check it out and if any of you are in the Southwest that weekend pop along and say hi!

I think that could be a pretty big collection weekend!
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyTue May 15, 2012 3:37 am

That's a great invite - and will be mega to have your car there that will have done the entire route by then. cheers
Back to top Go down
Magpie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Magpie

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyTue May 15, 2012 5:21 am

Wow - well done!
Back to top Go down
muddygirl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyTue May 15, 2012 5:33 am

Thats Fab - Well done you. Sounds like it will be a great weekend. sunny

Sarah.
Back to top Go down
MightyLewis12
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyTue May 15, 2012 11:48 pm

evo4x4 wrote:
That's a great invite - and will be mega to have your car there that will have done the entire route by then. cheers

Yeah we're hoping to have all sorts of pictures and maybe even a slide show and as much as we can about the rally!
Back to top Go down
MightyLewis12
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield EmptyWed May 16, 2012 2:33 am

evo4x4 wrote:

Keith Wondering if we could borrow a couple of the large flags that stand under the wheels of the Disco, plus anything else you may think would be good, stickers or anything really.

Certainly would be good to get a picture of us with our Easy Company brother with the a Rally Banner..what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Upottery Airfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upottery Airfield   Upottery Airfield Empty

Back to top Go down

Upottery Airfield
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Discussion :: This Section is for General Discussions, Banter, Questions, Queries, etc...-
Jump to: