Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Garmin GPS........HELP!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
V8Simon
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
V8Simon

Garmin GPS........HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:06 am

Good evening to everybody, Newbie
With there only being a matter of weeks before this amazing event arrives, I thought I'd better ask if anyone on here can help me? (some say I'm beyond it! Laughing )well I do drive a LANDROVER y'know!)
A couple of weeks ago I decided to go & purchase a GPS for the forthcoming jaunt across Europe. I ended up purchasing a Garmin GPS62H. It came with a dash mounted cradle & a power lead (12v) & it can also be run on 2 AA batteries, these last for around 18 hours. My question is...........How do you work the damn thing?? It has 29 different settings for co-ordinates, digital compass altitude, speed etc.. It came with a user manual on a disc for the 'puter, but I can't make head nor tail of it scratch

Any help & advice would be greatly recieved!

Simon Icon Landy Landy4
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:28 am

Where abouts are you Simon. It would be easier face to face than trying to explain it on here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

PostSubject: Re: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:29 am

Hello Simon,

I've got a Garmin GPS 60CSX and I find it to be the bees knees for mounted and dismounted work (i'm Army).

The various nav screens can be customised to give you the info you need.

The trip will be your most useful feature, the moving map (depending on what base map you have loaded) will be a help and the backtrack feature will help when you deal with a road closure in some Luxembourg forest.

Last year, we used the GPS 60CSX as an accurate, standalone trip (useful with stupidly large tyres on our Disco)

The best thing to do, is play with it. If you are anywhere near Hampshire/Berkshire you are welcome to come over for a brew.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:52 am

Simon - A good call. Much better than asking on 18th June! Hope the guys above have helped - if not ask again.

And remember; once you've got used to it: make sure the Lat/Long refs are decimals not minutes/seconds.
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 9:46 am

If the worst comes to the worst, we'll go through it on the 18th - plenty of time at the ferry, if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
V8Simon
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
V8Simon

PostSubject: Re: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 10:15 am

nickburt wrote:
Where abouts are you Simon. It would be easier face to face than trying to explain it on here.

I live in lovely sunny Cornwall, right down in the most S/W'ly village, The Lizard lol! lol! . Tad too far from Hampshire/Berkshire.
I think like suggested, is to play with it.

Thanks for your suggestions, I/we look forward to meeting you next month Smile

Simon Icon Landy Landy4
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Simon - AH! The far SW - that could explain it; perhaps the satellites don't cover that area ! Rolling Eyes

If still unresolved by 18th June I'm sure there will be expertise around at the start and, as Nick says, on the ferry. One way or other it'll get sorted. sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Garmin GPS........HELP!   Garmin GPS........HELP! Empty

Back to top Go down

Garmin GPS........HELP!
Page 1 of 1