Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

Recovery points

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nickwalk
Private
Private
nickwalk

Recovery points  Empty
PostSubject: Recovery points    Recovery points  EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi all

Setting up my list of things to do on the Commander and currently have the factory fitted towing eyes as recovery points. Debating whether to upgrade these but unsure as to whether I will actually need them. Are the offroad sections bad enough to warrant or would some careful but 'pressing on' driving suffice?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

Recovery points  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery points    Recovery points  EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 12:42 am

nickwalk wrote:
Hi all

Setting up my list of things to do on the Commander and currently have the factory fitted towing eyes as recovery points. Debating whether to upgrade these but unsure as to whether I will actually need them. Are the offroad sections bad enough to warrant or would some careful but 'pressing on' driving suffice?

Thanks

The normal ones will do the job, nothing really difficult.
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

Recovery points  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery points    Recovery points  EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 am

richie wrote:
nickwalk wrote:
Hi all

Thanks

The normal ones will do the job, nothing really difficult.

I would research your 'towing eyes' to find out what they are rated at and if they are in actual fact car transporter tie down points.

Recovery using non suitable points on a vehicle can be extremely dangerous to all concerned, the forces involved are huge.

There was scope to become stuck on all of the off road sections during the 2010 event and their was some serious recovery work completed.
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

Recovery points  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery points    Recovery points  EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 am

I would suggest upgrading the front recovery point. The standard Jeep front eye exerts an uneven pull on the chassis and if you are pulling at an angle has a tendency to damage the bumper skirt.

There are good after-market heavy duty points available to replace the front and rear end factory fit towing eyes. They simply bolt on where the existing ones are.

In the case of the front one, it extends the eye beyond the bumper and allows a shackle to be left in place full time.

Have a hunt on Ebay or join this forum www.jeepjunkies.co.uk. I'm sure someone on there will be able to help you out
Back to top Go down
http://teamwickes.webs.com
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

Recovery points  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery points    Recovery points  EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 9:03 am

As said, there is alwasy the possibility of needing a serious recovery. Although the off road courses are designed not to put the trucks at risk (after all, we have to drive 3000 miles in total), there is mud, and where there's mud, there's usually a stuck 4x4.

Worth getting proper recovery points fitted - it's not worth the risk of a weak point letting go.

If one of us non LR boys gets stuck we need to get it recovered quick, before the LR boys realise it's happened. If you see a LR stuck - GET THE CAMERA OUT first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

Recovery points  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery points    Recovery points  EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 am

nickburt wrote:
and where there's mud, there's usually a stuck 4x4.

I seem to recall a rather deep hole at one of the sites which became a feature of the DVD because so many people got stuck in it.
Back to top Go down
http://teamwickes.webs.com
Sponsored content

Recovery points  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery points    Recovery points  Empty

Back to top Go down

Recovery points
Page 1 of 1