Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

1st timer, needs help!!!

Go down 
+4
General Confusion
evo4x4
Skibum346
Dazedandconfused
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dazedandconfused
Private
Private

1st timer, needs help!!! Empty
PostSubject: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 8:33 am

Hi All,

This is the first time I have ever done anything like this and I was just wondering if any of you vets have any idea of where to start! I know I need to sort out insurance and get a car and stuff but its the little things, like what to take (Camping gear, cooler, cb) and what not to!
Any advice or info is greatly appreciated and will definately be useful.

Thanks very much and see you all soon!

Good luck with the fundraising.

Kel.
x
Back to top Go down
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 9:06 am

Kel,

First things first.... well... AFTER you've got a reliable vehicle (Right Chris & Dee Pacey?!)...

Think very carefully about what each day will consist of then start striking things OFF your list.

For instance:
1. Get up earlier than you want to
2. Realise the time
3. Have a quick splash and teeth brush
4. Realise you're about to miss the window for picking up the first road book of the day
5. Dash off and beg the forgiveness of the loverly Rhiannon (Bora da my lovely!) to get the aforementioned road book
6. Realise that everyone else is leaving and your asmatcic 300tdi (minus turbo - I'll explain at the first campsite!) aint gonna catch most of the teams up... and you've still to take the tent down
7. Dash back to tent and start taking it down
8. Realise you've left your glasses inside the now folded tent
9. Unpack tent
10. Re-pack tent
11. Realise you've folded it wrong and it won't now go into the bag
12. Re-pack tent.... again
13. Find space for tent, beds, chairs, sleeping bags, table, two ring cooker with grill, gas bottle, booze not drunk the night before and other stuff that for some reason is STILL lying scattered around
14. Realise that the sound you can't hear is the sound of ANY other team...!
15. FINALLY get everyone aboard (after the all important loo stop)
16. Realise you've left the road book in the tent.... Shocked
17. Unpack tent
18. Re-pack tent
19. Throw road book at nagivator
20. Leave campsite
21.Spend a "short time" reaching the end of the day's "adventures"
22. Report to marshalls at campsite, hand in ration packs (Keith'll explain at the start!)
23. Search for a decent spot in the now well populated campsite that doesn't back ontothe French loos
24. Un-pack equipment
25. Sit down with a well deserved beer... sweat dripping from your proboscis
26. Realise neither of you have eaten... and are actually quite smelly....
27. Think "Sod it!"
28. Take long apreciative pull on aformentioned beer, deciding to deal with it all in the morning!
29. Wake up earlier than you wanted to......etcetera...etcetera...etcetera!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamskibum.com
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 am

Mmm - Frank; Based on the above (and I'm still laughing), I reckon we made it too easy for you in 2010. Tim and I will have a pow-wow to see if we can make the event a little more 'interesting'.

Worry not Kelly - believe it or not (prob not!) this is a fun event. For sure there were 'interesting' times between the Nav & Driver; but at the end all were smiling.

Have a look back at some of the older posts but in reality; make sure you have a reliable and serviced car, carry some basic spares, have some decent camping equipment, don't worry about 'Tulips' - once in the groove it's easier than map reading, everyone will help out. Prepare as if you are going on a 2 week holiday across Europe - simple as that (ish). Top of the agenda - raising money for H4H cheers

For sure don't hesitate to ask any Qs.
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 am

Was Keith on the same event as us Frank???? Rolling Eyes

On a more serious note Kelly, you will probably end up taking far more than you need. I took basic running spares (and brought them all back unused, well I do drive a Jeep Very Happy).

Think about stuff like spare fluids (Oil, Gear Box Oil etc), Emergency stuff (Tyre Weld, Gaffa tape, Cable ties) Don't forget things that are obligatory like Warning Triangle, First Aid Kit, Hi-Viz vests.

Camping wise, only you can decide how comfortable you want to be. Just remember that the more you take, the less room there is in the vehicle and the lower your fuel consumption will be.

After last year, I wish I had stuck to a phrase I learnt in the Forces. "Keep it Simple, Stupid"

We probably brought back a third of what we took, completely unused.
Back to top Go down
http://teamwickes.webs.com
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 5:57 am

Delighted to note that Frank didn't have any issues at the Dutch, Belgian or German camp sites. Must have got his act together
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamgoatriders.co.uk
Horses45
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Horses45

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 11:08 pm

reading this post makes me feel like i have taken on a bit more than i can handle Shocked ,i just hope i can do this as most of my hard earned money has gone on my entry fee and i have just to get things sorted like a new satnav well lets see how it goes as im now dreading doing this
Back to top Go down
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 am

Horses...

Forgive my tongue in cheek list... it's not as horrid as it may have sounded!

The key message has already been put acros, pack light, practice set up and tear down cuz after a long day in the sadlle... you'll be looing forward to a rest.

It will be GREAT fun... we had a ball last year and Tim & Kieth and theri team do a great job of keeping us all motivated.

Dominos pizzas at regular intervals helped of course!

Skibum
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 am

As Frank quite rightly said, the key message is there.

Probably if you talk to most of the folks who took part last year, we probably all went a bit over the top on kit and preparation.

Satnav is a must (but Christmas is coming). Essentially, apart from the Off-Road challenge sites, it is a two week driving/camping holiday (??????) in Europe.

You don't need to worry about keeping yourself entertained in the evenings, you'll be too knackered Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
NoDo$h
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
NoDo$h

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 am

Echo that. Just bring the essentials. A 3-second tent will be your friend, that's for sure. We all packed too much, all ended up throwing out food and wondering why we had piles of crumpled but unworn t-shirts.

CB is essential in my opinion. I guarantee you'll end up teaming up with a couple of other cars at some point and the ability to call out to other drivers without worrying about a phone bill is a must.

Sense of humour and a co-driver with a better sense of humour, and you're all set.
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamgoatriders.co.uk
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 7:42 am

Tim- Remind me for 2011: 'Sense of Humour' = penalty points. clown
Back to top Go down
Dazedandconfused
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 4:36 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for this reassuring and very helpful thread. Planning well under way now and hopefully big bucks heading help for heroes way!
x
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:46 am

Glad to be of assistance.

I probably still have a load of stuff in the garage, still in the boxes, that we brought back Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 am

General Confusion wrote:
Glad to be of assistance.

I probably still have a load of stuff in the garage, still in the boxes, that we brought back Rolling Eyes

Got my spares pack sorted out for this year... same as last year.. same box... only thing missing is the turbo pipe... Embarassed

Gonna be travelling a whole lot lighter than last year.

No double ring stove and associated gas botttle... single screw into small bottle type stove... though may upgrade to a Jetboil.

No box full of kitchen impliments... a couple of plastic plates with matching Spork...

No box of provisions that were left untouched... maybe a handful of RatPacks for when Dominos don't turn up!

Leaving plenty of space for Light refreshment and Heavy refreshment!

cheers
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 am

LOL

But a serious ditto - won't be carrying half of what we took last year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 am

Most useful thing we took was a Kelly Kettle

http://www.kellykettle.com/vmchk/Kelly-Kettles.html?TreeId=1

Bit pricey I know, but an exceptional piece of kit. It stays in the Jeep now and is great on days out Green Laning
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 pm

nickburt wrote:
LOL

But a serious ditto - won't be carrying half of what we took last year.

Not taking Lynn then Nick Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 5:47 am

Richie, I'll let you explain that one to her Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st timer, needs help!!!   1st timer, needs help!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

1st timer, needs help!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Discussion :: Advice-
Jump to: