Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  Official YouTube PageOfficial YouTube Page  Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Twitter!  Like us on FACEBOOK!Like us on FACEBOOK!  Follow us on InstagramFollow us on Instagram  Click Here for Official WebsiteClick Here for Official Website  

sat nav question?

Go down 
+6
nickburt
richie
tonic
General Confusion
evo4x4
Horses45
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Horses45
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Horses45

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 2:41 am

Hi all my better half has told me i can have a new satnav for this next year and im just wondering for those that did it last year and the newbies like me for this year what sat navs will everyone be using?and which do everyone prefer?.All advice welcome.
Back to top Go down
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 4:45 am

As organisers we used TomTom (because we've always used TomTom and never had any probs) and the LR sat nav fitted in our vehicles. I know some crews used Garmin and some other toys.

If it helps, the LRM guys were testing a selection of Sat Navs during the rally for the mag. There is due to be an article in the next edition (Dec) which might help.

Nick Burt will be along soon - he had a plethora of gadgets in his car and can give a participants viewpoint.
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 6:02 am

I used TomTom with Western Europe Maps. I also installed Tripmaster on the TomTom which we used as a trip meter (Having bigger tyres fitted throws out the speedo and odometer)

We also used Autoroute 2010 on a laptop to supplement the tulip maps. It gave us an opportunity to see junctions that were marked on the tulip maps well in advance.

You could use TomTom in the same way if you disable the auto zoom function and set it on a large scale.

Be aware that in some European countries it is illegal to have speed camera warnings installed on your satnav.
Back to top Go down
http://teamwickes.webs.com
tonic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
tonic

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 8:03 am

We used a Tom Tom with European maps. Excellent with no problems. We also had a 'tablet' with GPS connection,loaded with memory maps, but unfortunatly this 'walked away' from us somewhere on the rally !!
Back to top Go down
richie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
richie

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 9:05 am

I had MIke, thats all I needed Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.h4hrally.co.uk
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 9:20 am

Is that why we kept finding you parked miles from anywhere Richie??? Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Horses45
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Horses45

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 9:51 am

cheers for that everyone looks like the tom tom is favorite upto now
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 10:33 am

We used a Garmin Streetpilot and Oregon as back up.
But the best of the lot was MS Autoroute running on a netbook, bluetoothed to a GPS datalogger. Decent size screen and all the road names and POIs etc...
Also allowed for plotting or route taken, so if we needed to back track it was easy to see on the screen where we had been.
Back to top Go down
http://www.l200.org.uk
evo4x4
Event Organiser
evo4x4

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 2:58 am

We used a Garmin Streetpilot and Oregon as back up.
But the best of the lot was MS Autoroute running on a netbook, bluetoothed to a GPS datalogger

What did I say?

Nick Burt will be along soon - he had a plethora of gadgets in his car

What a Face
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 4:24 am

Oh yea, James was also running Tomtom in the back too - talk about back seat driver !!!!

The netbook also runs Memory Map 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 for the whole of the UK.

Who said we got lost ??
Back to top Go down
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 5:14 am

Also, just remember, it's illegal to use speed camera detection AND satnav POI databases in some countries.

A good place for lots of info is: Pocket GPS World.
Back to top Go down
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 6:27 am

Gill and I ran a Garmin Nuvi 1310, Memory Map Adventurer 7000 and a Garmin GPS60CSX.

The European mapping on the Garmin Nuvi 1310 was good until it decided not to play in Luxembourg.

Speed info was invaluable using the Memory Map Adventurer 7000, especially with 35" tyres.

The Garmin GPS60CSX was great for close in detail and using as an accurate trip, it made allowances for going through tunnels and areas where GPS signals couldn't be received.

For next year, I'm looking at the Memory Map Adventurer S7000.....
Back to top Go down
General Confusion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
General Confusion

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 am

nickburt wrote:
Who said we got lost ??

You didn't get lost........................you just forgot which button to press Laughing
Back to top Go down
Skibum346
Sergeant
Sergeant
Skibum346

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 9:50 am

I ran a Catherine 4.5...

Was a bit expensive but there are some fringe benefits...!

Razz Very Happy Razz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamskibum.com
nickburt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
nickburt

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 10:21 am

General Confusion wrote:
nickburt wrote:
Who said we got lost ??

You didn't get lost........................you just forgot which button to press Laughing

Best not mention that to her Razz
Back to top Go down
Sandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sandy

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 5:59 am

nickburt wrote:
General Confusion wrote:
nickburt wrote:
Who said we got lost ??

Best not mention that to her Razz

Wise, very very wise.........
Back to top Go down
snow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
snow

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 am

we used tulip maps, sounds like everyone else cheated!!!..................

but we did use a garmin to gauge speed....my speedo might not work
Back to top Go down
Fucawi
Private
Private
Fucawi

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 12:30 am

snow wrote:
but we did use a garmin to gauge speed....my speedo might not work

Tis a Land Rover after all! lol!

I will be using CoPilot on the iPhone, works a treat in the UK and TomTom lost my custom after they decided not to give us long term devotees a discount when they moved to V7. Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sat nav question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: sat nav question?   sat nav question? Empty

Back to top Go down

sat nav question?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Discussion :: This Section is for General Discussions, Banter, Questions, Queries, etc...-
Jump to: